In the past week, as I drive to and fro on work-related business, a Dragonfly hovered directly above the hood of my car and landed a couple of times as the car was moving through the city.
When it happened a second time only a few days after then I thought there was a message the Dragonfly was wanting to convey (or sent to convey…..which I realize is WAY OUT THE BOX for some of you).
When it happened the THIRD time only two days ago then I KNEW there was a message there. The Dragonfly was really after my attention! (Yup, I know, sounds too crazy and foo-foo. I got it.)
So I went home and looked up the meaning of Dragonfly in the book Animal Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great & Small by Ted Andrews. It’s a great resource that adds a lot of fun and offers profound food for thought if you are open to the idea that the Universe speaks to you personally and intimately through signs and sightings in Nature, especially animals, birds, and insects.
What I found blew me away because of the relevance to me at this time and in my work situation. The book said,
‘If a Dragonfly has shown up in your life, you may need some fresh air in regard to something emotional. You may need to gain a new perspective or make a change.‘
Then the book goes on,
‘If they (the Dragonfly or Damselfly) have shown up, look for change to occur. Are you resisting change when you shouldn’t? Dragonflies remind us that we are light and can reflect the light in powerful ways if we choose to do so. “Let there be light” is the divine prompting to use the creative imagination as a force within your life. This is part of what dragonflies and Damselflies teach us.
Life is never quite the way it appears but it is always filled with light and color. Dragonfly can help you to see through your illusions and thus allow your own light to shine forth.’
My reaction when I read this was, ‘wow!’Why?
Well, my current day job is a b2b sales position and I am outstanding at it. However, if you were to ask me is it something I’m passionate about I would answer ‘no’. Just being honest. Yet, I enjoy it because I work my own hours, I speak to business owners who offer very different conversations and very different perspectives than consumers, and it can be quite lucrative.
The passion for it is missing though, and I am building up my work and name in Writing, Transformational Coaching/Healing, and Public Speaking. And it is coming along well and it’s to the point that I want to leave the sales position and play full out on my passionate interests. And I’ve been hesitant about it. The sales work is a safety net. It’s also my way of avoiding the challenge and trepidation of the calling of my Heart.
Can you relate to that?
So now, along comes the Dragonfly (and by the way, I don’t think it was the same Dragonfly that visited me all 3 times, although you never know) to –
– tell me that I need a new perspective;
– show me that I am indeed resisting my own transformation and the calling to discovering and experiencing myself as a newly created Being of power and possibility;
– remind me that I am light, I am energy, and as such, without limitation, and not a thing that is bound by limitation;
– help me see through the illusion of what I see and depend on with my physical sight (job ‘security’, for example) which is devoid of the fullness of self-expression that screams out from within;
– and to tell me that I must allow my own light to shine forth, to give full expression to my unique talents, skills, passion, and way of being that lend themselves to the purposeful, extraordinary life that moves me deeply just by thinking about it.
My questions to YOU (and to myself) are these –
– where do your thoughts go as you read this post?
– what is it that moves you and inspires you in profound and powerful ways?
– what is your calling? what are you called to do in life?
– what do you care about deeply? what are you passionate about?
– what changes and actions have you been resisting that you know you are called to make and take?
– how have you been playing it safe?
– if you played the game of life full out, if you could not be stopped at whatever you truly desire to be and do, what would your extraordinary life look like?
– what talent, what power, what possibility lies within you that you are not allowing to shine forth?
– if you were living and expressing your Self and living life 100%, what impact would you have on others and the world?
What do you hear in the message of the Dragonfly? What is the Dragonfly saying to YOU??