You know the nightmare scenario – you have a date with someone you really like. You have the perfect outfit, the perfect evening planned, and visions of romance dancing through your head.
Then, the very day before your date you start to feel the tingling, the itching, or the burning on your lip…..oh know! A cold sore is breaking out! And, what’s worse, you’ve run out of lysine tablets or lysine cream or your over-the-counter cream from the pharmacy!
What do you do now!!??
The key is being proactive to reduce the recurrence of cold sores. When you feel the ominous itching, tingling, or burning sensation that immediately precedes an outbreak of cold sores YOU MUST AVOID arginine-rich foods like –
– nuts: peanuts, almonds, walnuts, and pecans
– seeds (except pumpkin seed)
– grains: wheat, oats
– citrus fruits, such as oranges, grapefruits, or even grapes
Eat lysine-rich foods like –
– ricotta cheese
– Parmesan cheese
– goat milk
In addition to foods to eat and avoid when you feel an outbreak coming, there are other measures you can take to prevent or significantly reduce the duration and intensity of the outbreak, like:
– spraying hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) directly on the likely site of infection or dabbing with a cotton swab soaked in hydrogen peroxide. Spray repeatedly throughout the day but MAKE SURE YOU BEGIN DOING SO AS SOON AS YOU BEGIN TO FEEL THE FIRST SIGNS OF A POSSIBLE OUTBREAK – VERY IMPORTANT!
– if you have them, load up on lysine tablets (1000mg). Take 2 tablets at a time 4 to 6 times a day and MAKE SURE YOU BEGIN DOING SO AS SOON AS YOU BEGIN TO FEEL THE FIRST SIGNS OF A POSSIBLE OUTBREAK – VERY IMPORTANT!
– drink a mixture of 1 teaspoon of BAKING SODA completely dissolved in 8 ounces of water. This is key! Baking soda is very alkaline and neutralizes an acidic environment – pathogens (viruses, bacteria) thrive in an acidic environment. Drink this mixture repeatedly (but not when you are full from eating) 4-6 times a day but MAKE SURE YOU BEGIN DOING SO AS SOON AS YOU BEGIN TO FEEL THE FIRST SIGNS OF A POSSIBLE OUTBREAK – VERY IMPORTANT!
– refrain from alcohol consumption and cigarette smoking.
– get plenty of sleep – very important!
– try fasting on that first day or two when you feel the possibility of an outbreak and drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated. Fasting must be done with caution and you may want to seek medical advice first from your physician. Fasting allows the body to devote its vital energies to resisting the virus instead of digesting.
– apply EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) to help prevent or significantly reduce the duration and intensity of the outbreak. EFT is a simple but effective energy healing modality in which you tap on your acupuncture meridian points while staying mentally tuned into the issue you want to resolve. (see my 5 minute video demonstration of EFT here – Acupuncture Without Needles
I hope these tips help. Try them and then let me know how it goes by leaving a comment. Or share some of your knowledge for the benefit of others.